Dreading tax day? Well, I’ve got more bad news for you. Come April 15th, TiVo Series 3 owners unceremoniously lose access to Amazon Instant. Launched on TiVo way back in 2006 as Amazon Unbox (going HD in 2008), before we called these things “apps”, the video download service has been superseded by a streaming-centric approach that older TiVo hardware is likely incapable of handling (nor would anyone be willing to fund a significant engineering effort on hardware no longer available for purchase). As such, Amazon has begun alerting TiVo Series 3 owners. Presumably, “Series 3” also includes TiVo HD models and should Amazon video still be available to Series 2 DVRs, I expect it’ll similarly become inaccessible in the very near future. So while we may have indeed paid TiVo for “Lifetime Service” there’s no guarantees as to what that might consist of over time.
As someone who has used the Amazon application on your TiVo Series 3, we want to let you know the application will no longer be available on your TiVo after April 15, 2015. This means you won’t be able to download videos to your TiVo after this date. You can however continue to watch the movies and TV episodes you purchased and downloaded on your TiVo prior to this date by following the instructions below.
**Important – To keep your downloaded videos:
1. Download all purchased videos you want to save to your TiVo by April 15, 2015. After this date, you won’t be able to download videos from Amazon on your device.
2. To make sure your downloaded videos remain saved to your device, check the “Keep Until” settings for each one. Use your remote to open TiVo Central, then go to your “Now Playing” list. Select a video, open the “Keep Until” option, and choose “Keep Until I Delete” or specify a date.
If you don’t download your purchased videos onto your TiVo Series 3 and check the “Keep Until” date for each, you won’t be able to watch them on your device after April 15, 2015.
You can also stream your purchased movies and TV episodes on hundreds of compatible devices including TiVo Roamio, Smart TVs, game consoles, iOS, Android, and Fire devices. For more information about ways to watch, go to: https://www.amazon.com/
As a TiVo Series 3 customer, you’re eligible for $100 off a TiVo Roamio sold by Amazon.com so you can stream Amazon Instant Video.
You can redeem this offer on the Amazon website:
1. Go to: https://www.amazon.com/TiVo5
2. Add a qualifying TiVo Roamio device to your Cart and proceed to checkout.
3. On the “Select a Payment Method” page, enter XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX under “Gift Cards & Promotional Codes.”
4. Place your order.
You’ll see the promotional credit reflected in your order details. This offer is available until April 30, 2015. See the following link for the full terms and conditions: