Channeling Dave’s Twitter feed here on ZNF…
- Looks like the Slingbox iPhone embargo has been broken. Yes, Apple (& maybe AT&T) had it neutered. WiFi streaming only. $30, get it tmrw.
- I’ve been running the pre-release SlingPlayer for a month or so now. Will blog more thoughts in the AM.
- One more thing – Sling saw our pushback… All models of Slingbox will work with the iPhone client. No need to upgrade hardware.
- @blam Dunno. I thought $20 would be a more reasonable price point. Drive hardware sales and make a little money. Then again, $40 would have been worse than $30.
- @muhlman If they ever switch from WMV to H.264 on the iPhone client, you’ll be happy you have the newer hardware.
- @muhlman Yep, agreed. Maybe we’ll have better luck on Sprint with the Pre. Sling tells me they’re deep in talks with Palm & feeling positive
- @kermit24 Let me direct you to the AT&T rep that talks about banning the Slingbox from your network: http://bit.ly/TFmtk
- AT&T doesn’t really mind 3G video streaming. They just want us to buy *theirs*. If all the cool apps are WiFi only, I don’t need AT&T do I?
- Retweet @saschasegan: our review says iPhone Sling has surprisingly blah video quality.
- @saschasegan Sling tells me 16:9 video will properly fill the iPhone screen in a future release.
- Unfortunately, they wouldn’t commit on the possibility of a portrait mode for dockable viewing.
- One last Sling iPhone tweet, then I’m done: The UI is slow and using it pauses streaming – shoehorning WMV onto this platform takes a toll.
- The voipover3G iPhone jailbreak app might allow 3G slinging. And Skype, too. But I’d rather just switch to a phone/carrier that respects me. (Does one exist?)
Click to enlarge: