Popular online video streaming aggregator site, Hulu has picked up another major content provider – this time Disney/ABC. Disney and Hulu announced that they are joining forces to provide content from Disney properties (this includes ABC Network) and in turn, Disney will become a joint Hulu partner along with NBC and Fox.
So we can expect to see additional prime-time content like Lost, Gray’s Anatomy, Desparate Housewives from ABC and then some content from ABC Family and Disney Channel along with some older shows. ESPN which is also owned by Disney wasn’t mentioned probably because they recently made a deal for ESPN content on YouTube.
The Hulu.com press release directly mentions the following shows will be on Hulu:
- Full-length episodes of ABC primetime programs like Lost, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, Samantha Who, Scrubs, Private Practice and popular late night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Full-length episodes of hit ABC Family series like The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Greek
- Popular series from ABC Daytime and SOAPnet like General Hospital and The View
- Classic series from ABC’s library like Hope and Faith, Less Than Perfect, Commander in Chief, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Dancing with the Stars
- Select hit programs from Disney Channel like Wizards of Waverly Place and Phineas and Ferb which can be easily accessed from a new DISNEY location in the Channel section of Hulu.com
- Popular library titles from The Walt Disney Studios
- Short-form content including webisodes, sneak peeks and episode recaps from ABC Entertainment, ABC Family and SOAPnet
So that leaves us with CBS which is the only major U.S. broadcast network not with Hulu. CBS streams to TV.com though so all major networks seem to be slowly moving towards some online content one way or another.
Check out more of Brent’s reflections on tech, gadgets, software and media at Geek Tonic.